3/10/10

Yaoi Prose: Incubus Master

Oh, god, this is hard. Okay. When I workshop a story I have to look for the good and bad when I write my critique. Good followed by bad, bad followed by good, there has to be a balance. But when someone expects you to pay money for a story written with the same care and expertise as a twelve year old who writes Inyuasha yaoi, the game changes. It's not about helping a writer improve anymore, but helping you make a wise choice about where to spend your money.

This morning I read the free 3 chapter preview of Incubus Master by Yamilia Abraham. The story opens in the midst of a battle, I think. I'm not really sure. Nothing's really clear. All you know is something is happening. This is one of the major flaws of Incubus, the author takes for granted her audience is familiar with the subject matter. I most certainly am unaware as to what a Succubus or Incubus is and I'm sure I'm not alone in this lack of knowledge. It is the author's responsibility to find a creative way to weave a description into the narrative, but that's another thing Incubus has little of: description. This is all forgivable in the land of fanfiction where the audience already knows what the world of Gurren Lagann looks like or a batarang is a weapon and not just some funny sounding word. But when a author chooses to forgo much needed detailing the writing comes off lazy.

So, yes, there's this thing going on and Jinady, our protagonist, is swept up by a demon. End scene. In the next scene we learn he has been held captive and used as a sex slave by the demons in a cave high in the mountains. We are made aware Jinady is a pretty, pretty man before we're plunged into a long sex scene with an incubus. If the focal point of a story is sex you better have the skills to write one good sex scene. Sadly this is another of Incubus' shortcomings. Although, for once there is detail, the description is very cut and dry. Insert slot A into slot B. What really spoiled the sex for me is how the gasps and moans were written into dialogue. Instead of being sexy it has the opposite affect and makes the scene more comical. Come on, think of any bad!fic you read in the past and I bet you can remember the "oooohs", and "ahhhhhs". You got a smile on your face right now, don't you. Because it was funny! It's funny because it's unnecessary.

As an English major, the over use of the word that in this piece kills me dead. Also the back and forth between present and past tense doesn't help the flow of this already choppy work. Even if a reader is able to overlook such breaches of the rules of writing, the absence of detail will undoubtedly turn them off. Which leaves me to question blogs such as Kuriousity which reviewed this and didn't find many, if any flaws. What I want to know is if the site owner would go out of her way to purchase these chapters if she wasn't receiving free digital copies. I doubt it. Because if she wanted to read bad writing there's this site called fanfiction.net where she could get her fill for free.

What saddens me more than the bad writing is after chapter 2 of Incubus Master there are the glimmerings of a great idea that could have flourished if written by a more skilled writer. Or, perhaps, if she just had someone edit the story. Even a couple of proof readers. Any help would have been beneficial. Incubus Master does not read like a finished work. It's a first draft in need of extensive reconstructive surgery.

This mini review is on the first 3 chapters. Maybe I've piqued you're interest and you want to check it out yourself. But I cannot recommend anyone pay for this in good conscious. I advise you guys to put your money to better use and treat yourselves to a coke or a candy bar instead.

11 comments:

Saffron Sugar said...

Finally an honest reviewer! Bless you and your respect for literature.

Affinity said...

Thank you :). I'm always a bit wary of bloggers who receive complimentary copies of comics from companies. I do not believe they care for their audience. Instead they are more worried about keeping the companies happy so they can continue receiving their free comics.

Kichouneko said...

omg =( I went and tried reading this and I see exactly what you mean. It is very passive tense and the descriptions are extremely choppy. The storyline has potential but this novel definitely needs an overhaul of major descriptive proportions. My editing hand is itching for a red pen.

Lissa said...

As the owner of Kuriousity and the writer of that review, I do feel the need to remind that reviews are based on a person's personal opinion.

I really enjoyed Incubus Master and I did read paid-for copies on future chapters to complete the story and receive the fun artwork that comes with them.

It is my personal policy to be honest with my reviews. It does me nor my readers any benefit to up-sell a work that I do not feel is a worthwhile investment of their time or money. I do not request review copies but feel that when they are offered to me that I always divulge this.

While I value your personal views and thoughts on this and any other work, I do not appreciate how you question the validity of a review simply written by someone who enjoyed something you did not, regardless of the source.

On the upside, I was glad your finger-point at my site allowed me to find yours. I always enjoy discovering new blogs and seeing what else others have to say :)

Affinity said...

Hey Lissa,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I think, maybe, I might have been a little harsh. You have to understand, before I read Incubus Master I looked for reviews and found yours, which was positive. After reading the story I couldn't understand how anyone could recommend something written so horribly.

What I should have realized then, is your blog is a comic blog. Going to a comic blog and reading a review on a book is kinda like going to Red Lobster and ordering a burger. You'll get a burger, but it's not going to be as good as burger you can get from a restaurant that specializes in making them.

A book review would have looked at the structure of Incubus Master, POV, and grammar. Your review is similar to the ones you write on comics. I was wrong to expect something else.

Issendai said...

Thank god, someone who's willing to call this out for the crap it is! The net is filled with reviews gushing over how wonderful it is--not just Kuriosity, dozens and dozens of other reviewers. It reads like an untouched first draft of a preteen's rape fantasy, complete with infodumps, beginner's-level writing errors, and hilariously bad sex. How on earth did this mess get the number of fans it has?

As for the artwork, eh. It's not bad. But you can get equally good art for free on any yaoi artists' board, and the descriptions in the story are so vague that any random demon/human art would fit just as well.

Thanks again for restoring my faith in humanity.

Affinity said...

Hello Issendai,

I'm saddened to hear there are other sites out there who are unable to decently review Incubus Master. If you happen by this page again and see this message do you mind shooting some of those links my way?

I do believe their is an audience who have become disillusioned by reviewers. I will admit to calling out Kuriousity, mostly because the majority of anything the blogger reviews she likes, which I find odd because the majority of anything is god awful. I believe it's the reviewers job to wade through the trash and find the gems.

Issendai said...

Sure, next time I'm up to hunting down reviews I'll send you some. You can find plenty just by Googling "incubus master review."

It doesn't surprise me that a reviewer would post mostly positive reviews. Most reviewers choose to spend their energy directing people toward what they think is good, rather than away from what they think is bad, so they can recognize that Sturgeon's Law applies to everything but still post nothing but honestly positive reviews. It does worry me that most reviewers who did review this work thought it was the best thing since sliced pixies.

Issendai said...

Here's a selection:

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Incubus-Master-Part-Yaoi-ebook/dp/B00336EWC0

Boys' Luv: http://www.boys-luv.com/2009/12/yaoi-prose-incubus-master-part-one/

activeanime: http://www.activeanime.com/html/content/view/6044

Affinity said...

Thanks Illendai for the links! I am utterly flabbergasted by the last link you provided. First of all more than 75% of the review is a summary. The rest is just crazy. I cannot believe someone can honestly write this:

For the first few chapters Incubus Master has the power to grasp the reader from the first few paragraphs due to the descriptiveness of the author. The story has enough passion and drive to become a very vibrant and interesting novel with the reader finding out more about each demon as they read on.

I can understand if someone said, "hey, I know this is written terribly, but it's like eating a loaded burrito, you know it's bad for you but that's exactly why you want it". I have yet to see such a review.

Issendai said...

There's a huge subset of reviewers who think "review" means "summary." It's frightening.

I think that certain kinds of badness appeal to audiences. For example, simple writing. The sentences in Incubus Master are on a third-grade level, short and choppy and basic. It's an undemanding, fast read that gives a strong hit of emotions without any interruption from the forebrain, and a lot of unsophisticated readers like that. Or simple tropes: the main character is an abused woobie, and if someone has a woobie kink, they may not be picky about their reading material as long as it hits the high points of their kinks.

(Don't ask me how the horrible sex gets read as erotic. Maybe because there's a bit at the end that's briefly sexy, or at least sort of enjoyable once your standards have been eroded by the rest of the piece?)

It may also help that readers who idolize "Yaoimila" aren't aware of the much better yaoi-style stories sold by erotic romance publishers. If all you have for comparison is H fanfiction, Incubus Master may look like Shakespeare.