3/7/10

The Winds of Change

I had a different outlook for this blog when I started it a little over a year ago. My number one prerogative was to improve my writing. I had a professor who glorified review writing because of his belief in how it strengthened writing abilities. So I wanted to do reviews and reports on what was going on with the BL industry.

As time passed I realized the entries I really enjoyed writing were the ones where I focused more on the fannish things such as slash/yaoi or games. Then I remembered the reason I've been into this genre for as long as I have was because of the community. Even if BL ceased to exist there will always be a fan writing fanfics of Kirk and Spock having hot sex.

Even more than slash/yaoi I enjoy the original BL webcomics such as Starfighter or Honeydew Syndrome. I think my previous entries on what I wasn't buying should clue people into how I feel about the BL industry in America. What I like about these webcomics is how they're able to get their product to the fans without having to go to some big cooperation. I know any artist's dream is to get picked up by a comic company, either for money or exposure, but I like to think the internet is making it that anyone with an idea and audience doesn't need the industry anymore. And I think we might be seeing the beginnings of this in the BL world.

The direction of this blog will change to mirror my interest. There will be scanlations, doujinshi, fanart, and webcomics. I'll occasionally write about mainstream American releases, but this will not be the focus. I also want to try my hand at translating and maybe starting my own comic. I'll make news updates, but only on information I find interesting and want to comment on. If you're looking for something tapped into the mainstream world, try the The Yaoi Review. This blog will focus on the part of the genre I like the most: you guys.

No comments: