8/17/09

Mice, Carps, and Setona

The first manga I ever read by Setona Mizushiro was X-Day. If I'm remembering correctly it was released when manga had just started to gain traction in the US market so there was some glut but it didn't flood the market as it does now. So I trusted X-Day would be on par with the majority of the other manga I had been purchasing. I enjoyed the first volume of X-Day but had a feeling, from the way the story had unfolded that it was going to end in a very predictable cliche shoujo way. It did. And so I was content with reading it during my lunch break at Waldenbooks and not purchasing it. Unimpressed by her writing I avoided anything by Mizushiro for years. Then one day as I scrolled through my LJ post I noticed a BL cover drawn by her. "So she does BL also," I thought to myself, "I bet it's just as cliched as her shoujo work". Oh, how wrong I was.

Setona Mizushiro's story about a gay man who is in love with a straight man and the trials and tribulations of their relationship is one of the best manga I have ever read. I know the premise sounds like every BL story in existence, but it's all about how you tell that story and Mizushiro tells it well. Her two characters, Imagase and Kyouichi are just...raw. You see their strengths and their weaknesses and you learn quickly that these two people aren't the nicest guys in the world. They have weird quirks, get jealous, cheat, lie, argue, shout at the top of their lungs, fight when they should be working on a peace treaty or not fight when they should put up a battle. This isn't a list of negatives, this is a list of realities. Of behaviors that make us human. Not bad. Not good. Just is. And just like us, they aren't aware of their feelings, nor are they quite sure of who they are, especially in Kyouichi's case. And Imagase, who comes off very self assured is always shaky because his foundation is Kyouichi. The whole first volume of The Cornered Mouse Dreams of Cheese is a roller coaster ride that keeps going down. It's exhilarating and fun, but you need a brief reprieve so you can catch your breath. Setona never gives you a chance to breathe.

The second volume, The Carp on the Chopping Block Jumps Twice, the ride comes to a screeching halt and knocks all the air out of you. I use this analogy because as you slow down a feeling of relief shoots through your body before the sudden stop that jolts you. And although the first chapter, Melancholy Butterfly, starts out just as rocky as the previous volume Mizushiro ends it so bitter sweetly that one can have hope where there wasn't any before. Maybe things will work out? Maybe they can be happy together? What is interesting is Kyouichi is asking himself the same questions. By the third chapter, Owl, he seems to settling into the idea of a life with Imagase.

And that feeling, that possibility, is the one time you're able to sit back and inhale. Things do eventually come to a head but there isn't a crazy soap opera explosion. I think of Totally Captivated and how Mookyul and Ewon eventually have an all out war. I don't know what I expected to happen between Kyouichi and Imagase. If anything at all. But what transpires isn't at all a thunderstorm, but a light down pour. And for some reason, that made it all the more heart wrenching.

Man, I cried like a baby while reading this chapter and after. And it sucks that I can't say why because I don't want to ruin it for any of you who haven't read the latest chapter or even the manga. I will say hurry over to Presencedear and download it if you haven't. I promise, you will not be disappointed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I really love this mangaka's work. Another great story (that made me cry as well) is Doushitemo Furetakunai by Yoneda Kou. It's on Mangafox.com =)

Anonymous said...

This is rly my favorite yaoi manga, and i thought it was absolutely amazing. I've read it so many times and it feels like im on a rollercoaster evry single time like you said haha I got so connected with the characters and felt so much for them ! She really is an amazing storyteller . ( happy to find another person who sees how amazing the manga is ^_^)