8/24/10

Boys in Skirts

This whole boys in skirts thing seems to be a new trend for the guys in Japan. I really can't tell the difference between a prepubescent boy or girl in a dress, but I guess that's the point. We're all pretty much unisex in looks until glorious puberty hits. So it has to be the thought of the images being male which gets the guys excited because there really is no way to tell unless those skirts are being flipped. I may be alone in this analysis but these magazines as well as Boku no Pico seem like voyeuristic forms of pederasty. A way of participating in the old practice without actually participating. If you don't know what pederasty is I'm going to direct you to Dirk Deppey's article here and also to a Frontline video which looks at the practice in Afghanistan. Both will help you better understand the history and the practice and maybe shine some light on why these boys in skirts magazines are springing up in Japan.

As for females, I know there's an audience for this material (you need look no further than y!gal for proof). I doubt it's huge and I'm pretty sure the reason for this is rooted in history as well and is linked to the woman's role in the home. If your job is to raise young boys it's probably not beneficial to look at them sexually. With female roles changing and so many females opting out of childbearing more females might join the ranks of men who like boys in skirts. However, I do not see this group growing in countries such as the US. Christopher Handley will probably serve as a warning to individuals interested in shota or magazins such as Oto☆Nyan. So, maybe in the US, the shota audience will shrink.

I'm still waiting for someone to create a magazine dedicated to men in skirts. I love me some cross dressing men.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry 'bout this comment Affinity, so no offense. MY EYES, I'M BLIND. Boys in skirt to me seem like they are prostitutes and sreaming to get raped. Although he is cute. The first commenter.