1/19/09

You are correct, sir! No, wait, you're not.

My mother actually said the above to me yesterday >_<. It is, quite honestly, one of the most absurd reasons I've ever heard for liking BL. Yeah, mom, I wish to become a homosexual male because I can't bear the horrible stigma I must live with for being a female attracted to men. If only I were a man things would be so much easier. Oh, if only...

Kidding aside, ever since I became open about this hobby my mother, I think, has made it her mission to try and figure out why I find hot guys digging hot guys interesting. Although I think the answer can be surmised from my previous statement, my mom isn't alone in her quest for knowledge. One of the most common analysis I've heard and read about is family or friends coming to the conclusion that you're gay. I've been asked this question also, by both my mom and my older brother. My little sisters, who knew about my love of yaoi and slash since the time I was 13, just didn't care. I wonder, then, if my mom and older brother had known about this for as long as my sisters did, would they be more understanding?

But that's the thing, I don't think a lot of my fellow BL fangirl's want understanding. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they just want acceptance. We want to be able to buy, read, write, draw, and chat openly about our hobby without having someone analyze the "why". Guys might be asked why they like the Chicago Bears, but they're very rarely asked to explain why they like football. But you better believe, nine times out of ten, a female will be questioned about her reasons for reading BL. I know, a lot of this has to do with the fact many religions denounce homosexuality and I know there's a lot of hurdles we're gonna have to leap before we get to that level where it's as normal as football. But I think that's what we're striving for is that level of normalcy.

But until then, I guess I'm just a girl who wants to be a boy.

1 comment:

Zenon Receives said...

LOL I never received THAT kind of reaction :D

Just plain appalled bewilderment. *sigh*

Btw: I LOVE! your style of drawing <3<3 Really!