3/21/09

Review: Blue Sky

Author: Yuko Kuwabara
Pages: 200
Price: $12.95
Publisher: June Manga
Summary from back cover: At the Seiran boys' dormitory, there is a prophecy: the Chief Resident Assistant ALWAYS becomes romantically involved with his roommate during senior year. Wanting a little excitement in his life, Chief R.A. Ryoichiro Kihara rigs the room selection process and picks the beautiful Kyosuke Yoshimi to be his roommate. After all, what better way to test the prophecy than to see if it can work its magic on the cold and aloof Yoshimi, aptly named the "Beautiful Prince of Ice". But Kihara has a nickname too--the "Prince of Warm Sunshine". Can warm, spring sunshine melt the heart of the Prince of Ice? Will the prophecy hold true? Find out in this extremely popular manga by Yuko Kuwabara.

Review: This manga doesn't have much going for it. It's built on very old foundation that has propelled many a story forward, but Blue Sky doesn't do anything to expand upon such a solid base.

The prophecy, which could have been something new and different, is nothing more than a gimmick to make the story seem as if it is interesting. In the first and second chapter "the prophecy" is thrown into conversations for no other reason than to trick you into believe the manga actually has some semblance of a plot. Because the prophecy is so meaningless the relationship between Kihara and Kyosuke is just as meaningless. They don't know why they like each other, but they do. I've always disliked when this is used in stories and it's no different with Blue Sky. Give me a reason! And you know what, reasons make the story better (gasp, no way)!

Aside from Kihara and Kyosuke there are two other couples. Although their story lines are slightly better they suffer from the same disease that plagued the main romance, unoriginality. For example: Kyosuke's older brother is in a relationship with a nurse who isn't sure if he's loved for who he is, or because he resembles Kyosuke. This is actually a plot that is used in all genres of manga. Also, the big brother is identical to the seme in the third couple, Kaga and the nurse is Kyosuke's clone (so you do have a reason to worry, nursy). The lack of variation in the physical attributes of the characters confused me on many occasions. There were many a time I had to read parts over because I couldn't place who was who.

And what is up with these aggressive seme's? I don't mind a little roughness, but a lot of this behavior is borderline rape, and not the BL type, more like the Hot Gimmick type (I don't care if you like Hot Gimmick, a lot of what went on in there was just wrong). And no, Kyosuke's older brother, saying this to your lover is not romantic no matter the situation: I waited three whole years to get you--That's right, I waited! When actually...Back in high school, there were many times I just wanted to push you down on the infirmary bed and have you right there! But I held back! What, you want a prize for doing exactly what you're suppose to do?! Come on...But seriously, that language sounds suspiciously like shoujo manga. In fact, there are many incidents where I felt like I was reading a shoujo. And I'm sorry, if I wanted shoujo, I would have read a shoujo.

There are two things I will admit to: Kyosuke's brother makes some really sexy expressions and the third couple (?) doesn't have as bad of a storyline as the other two. But sexy expressions and a couple with a semi okay plot cannot save this manga. Go read Our Kingdom instead. I'd even recommend Gakuen Heaven over this, and I'm not even a fan of that series. But there is so much wrong with this manga, I cannot readily recommend anyone purchase it.

Because this isn't so horrible that I'd curse its very existence it gets a:

No comments: