12/28/08

KakaIru heading into 2009

In japan the KakaIru fan community seems to be slowing down. Dying? Not quite, and probably not until we see the end of Naruto. But it has reached a sort of loll. One of the signs of this is when Halco of Chikadou fame announced in her blog that she would cease publication of any future KakaIru material. Halco, I believe, is one of the people who has helped shape Kakashi and Iruka by giving them traits that have become a part of fanon. These personality quirks such as Iruka's shyness and Kakashi's overactive libido can be found in many doujinshi. Not to say there aren't those that go against the norm or there isn't any tweaking between the artist. Sometimes Kakashi is super sweet, or kinda jerky, but undoubtedly he will also be a total horn dog. This shows how certain aspects have become a standard in this community.

artwork by Halco

This consistency found throughout the fandom is one of the reasons I find it so enduring. For me, it has become the definitive. Really. If I read a fanfic and Iruka is the seme or if I see a fanart with him on top I literally get pulled out of the element. This very rarely happens to me because I'm usually all about swithcin' it up. But when it comes to KakaIru I'm all about Kakashi being on top.

As the years continue to pass the KakaIru community will begin to dissipate even more. In order for it to regain some strength there will have to be a resurgence of new artist and writers willing to breathe life into the fandom. As much as the consistent characterization has given KakaIru staying power, I think changing it up might help revitalize it. Making Iruka an aggressive uke would be interesting. Or even just making them sex buddies while they carry on romantic relationships with other female Naruto characters would be a cool twist. Be creative! Although KakaIru will never return to what it was when Naruto was at its height in Japan I would love to see it go out with a bang. So keep it coming with the fanfiction, art, and comics, 'cause I'll be here to read, look, and buy.

artwork by Satoru Shigemi

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES I totally agree with you!! :D

ahah we can see sometimes iruka as a seme-uke XD because he cant always be that shy ;p eheheh.. i dont like them to be sex buddies, because, I like to think theyre in love, which makes this pairing so aweosome *.* but hey, there's artist and wrighters for everything XD

Its really sad that Halco stoped with the kakairu art... but she needs to make other ppl happy with other fandoms just like Halco did to us <3
And I must confess... even when naruto will end, I will stay with this pairing in my heart and drawing it and making doujinshis out of them! THE TRUE KAKAIRU FAN WILL ALWAYS LOVE IT XD (i know Halco sill loves it, but she needs to give a change to other things x3)

:D

Affinity said...

Hey there, PokeMew! Sorry I got to your comment so late, I didn't have it set so I can receive e-mail messages when someone commented. But the problem has been remedied.

And yes, I believe I'll always be a Kakairu fan too and I know we'll always be around. I also understand that creators move onto other series, but in my case, Halco is the person who really sold Kakairu to me, so it was sad to read on her blog that she was going to cease doing doujin on them. But I'll support her in whatever endeavor she goes into. I in fact just recently purchased her first manga. I'll be posting a review and images sometime soon.

Anyway, thanks for the comment and I'm glad to hear you'll be there to provide lovely kakairu artwork!

(oh, btw, I think I remember seeing you on the kakairu community on livejournal asking for some help to find some Shigemi doujin. Have you tried contacting Jpqueen and asking them to find any doujinshi for you? They've always been very helpful with me whenever I was searching for anything).

Anonymous said...

ehh sorry for the twon month late replay ^^;; I haven't been to other blogs because of school (only kakairu lj comm)

Ah yes, it was Halco that sold me to kakairu too! Oh, Halco's first doujinshi! That's a classic! You're lucky :D

Ah yes, it was me who posted in the kakairu lj community asking for corekuma doujinshi.. JpQueen look for us if we contact them? That's awesome! I will do that! Thank you very <3